Gemstar® is an engineering-based solutions provider with over 50 years of manufacturing experience and plastics knowledge. We are a family-owned business supported internally by long-term employees, and we have a firm history rooted in custom, made-to-order-manufacturing and the dedication of a customer-centric organization.
- Customer Focus: Convenient, hassle-free customer service with top quality manufacturing
- Respect: A culture of integrity and humility. Treating others as we wish to be treated ourselves
- Stability: Reliability for our customers and our people through growth and investment in people and equipment
- Honesty: Be authentic, genuine, and transparent in our interactions with each other and our customers
- Curiosity: Seeking new, innovative, and diverse perspectives in a culture of continuous improvement
- Teamwork: We all have a passion to win – but in the end we win or lose together
- Stewardship: Supporting our industry, our local communities, and the environment
Gemstar’s founder, Jim Weinel, a NASA lamination materials engineer, purchased two vacuum formers and leased a small manufacturing space in St. Louis Park, MN. The first products manufactured were custom parts components for signs, packaging, and consumer and industrial products.
An electrical fire ravaged the Gemstar plant, destroying equipment, raw materials, and finished products. This would have been the end, but Jim and his team started rebuilding, determined to reestablish and expand.
The company’s headquarters and manufacturing moved to Cannon Falls, MN. This new location offered abundant room for expansion for future company growth. Along with the relocation came efforts to reduce Gemstar’s reliance on external suppliers and increase the company’ s ability to supply custom manufacturing solutions for the growing customer base.
In order to manufacture more complex and rugged parts, Gemstar added rotational molding to its growing list of capabilities. This expansion enabled the company to take on projects with complex geometries or that were in need of high-impact resistance.
To this point, the majority of product testing was outsourced to local test labs. In support of continued vertical integration, increased speed-to-market, and expanding capabilities, Gemstar developed its own in-house test lab. The lab allows Gemstar to test products to a wide variety of industry standard.
In early 2019, Gemstar Manufacturing moved into a larger building that provides more space and advanced machinery to tackle your toughest projects. Gemstar now offers multiple manufacturing capabilities in-house to produce the custom plastic components that your business needs: rotational molding, thermoforming, and secondary manufacturing and assembly.